We are beloved companions on a mystic journey, sharing our solitude and holding the world in the divine prayer of love.

"Place your mind before the mirror of eternity! Place your soul in the brilliance of glory. Place your heart in the figure of the divine substance. And transform your whole being into the image of the Godhead Itself through contemplation."
- from St. Clare's third letter to Blessed Agnes of Prague.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Ocean Calling

Humans have deserted the beach, but the gulls seek out the sands for protection from the storm that has the surf crashing high, layer after layer. All I wanted was to stand there. It was my birthday. All I wanted was to dissolve into it...each water drop whether rain or mist from the waves. All I wanted was immensity to echo through my own waters of blood and tears, the fluids of spine and brain, of lymph -- Mostly we are water and air. Ocean flows through us all.
I take a deep breath and listen. "Be still and wait," my dear, dear sister told us all in the weeks before she passed from this world. She's been so close these past few weeks, and today she seemed to be walking the beach with me seeking out the smallest, most worn-to-a-circle stones.What did she hear in her stillness? Can you hear "round" as you pick up the stone? Can you touch sound? Is what we call God or Heaven simply a dissolving into everything? One could hardly do better than the swell and ebb of the ocean which I sometimes believe could be the nature of that Divine Silence that draws us, that Word out of the Infinite Silence of which the author of the Cloud of Unknowing speaks: "The drawing of that Love and the Voice of that Calling..."

Ebb and Flow


Liz's stones and seaweed

Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment